Small things I've seen recently & appreciated - a lot of these are repeat viewings -
- the moment in Friday when Ice Cube opens the cabinet to find some Cap'n Crunch cereal, and lets out a "yeeah" (see it in the first few seconds here). The vocalization seems poised between the scripted and the unmotivated, between the performance of a private moment and the performance for a camera and a crew.
- the spit fight in Fist of Fury 1991 between Stephen Chow and a thief (see it here). In Zoolander 2 I hope they augment any further breakdance fighting with spit-fighting.
- Yuen Wah's (the landlord's) hair in Kung Fu Hustle.
- all of David O'Reilly's amazing Please Say Something (watch all 10 minutes here) - I didn't know any of his animation before a peer screened this one recently.
- Eric Balfour punching up a rubbery alien in Skyline - a surreally low-tech moment in a slickly dismal movie that pilfers - without humor, without wit - from various other alien/sf films like The Matrix and District 9.
- the scene when Audrey Hepburn first peers into George Peppard's apartment from the fire escape in Breakfast at Tiffany's, gazing on his passive, sleeping, unclothed body while Patricia Neal leaves cash on the table. "I understand completely," she tells him soon after.