Sunday, February 04, 2007

Quotes

"A masterpiece, you are going to see a masterpiece. This is my second, third, fourth time seeing it."

-- The Italian woman behind me to the people in front of me when we were all getting tickets to Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion. I don't think it's quite a masterpiece, but it's pretty damn good.

"I am the son of a man and a woman, from what they tell me. This astounds me ... I had thought to be more than this!"

-- Lautréamont, Les Chants de Maldoror (trans. Guy Wernham), p. 15

"But how can there be any magic in a goose-feather?"
"There is this magic that, possessing it, King Helmas has faith in, and has stopped bothering about, himself."
"Is not to bother about yourself the highest wisdom?"
"Oh, no! Oh, dear me, no! I merely said it was the highest of which man is capable."

-- A conversation between a less-than-bright hero (Dom Manuel) and the oldest and wisest of birds (Zhar-Ptitza) in James Branch Cabell's comic fantasy novel Figures of Earth (1921), p. 84

2 comments:

Alex said...

As the great Dead Prez said in wise commentary on An Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion:

"This real hip hop, and it dont stop until we get the po-po off the block"

Let us give mega props to Volonte - what a great fascist!

David McDougall said...

did you get to see A Quiet Place in the Country? SO worth it - for the opening titles alone. Elio Petri, where have you been all my life?