Thursday, August 10, 2006

Worthy Subjects for Further Research






















Jayce Salloum (more on him later; for the moment, check out this), with stills from two of his videos, Up to the South (1993, with Walid Ra'ad) and This Is Not Beirut (1994).
















Léo Ferré: which reminds me that I still have yet to see Numéro deux (Godard, '75), for which M. Ferré provides the music.



















Situationist International #1: René Viénet. Today I picked up a copy of his Enragés and Situationists in the Occupation Movement ("his" book?--a commenter on Amazon wrote that he didn't actually write it himself, its authorship ascribed to him), and it's about time I finally sat down and looked at the file I downloaded of The Girls of Kamare ...


















Situationist International #2: Raoul Vaneigem--today I also picked up Vaneigem's great-looking A Cavalier History of Surrealism.

All of these will be subjects for further research on my part. Any or all of these subjects may well re-appear on this blog or in some other writing I do ...

3 comments:

Andy Rector said...

I'm sure it's there but I don't remember a note of music in NUMERO DEUX! And if there really isn't music, maybe Ferre composed the noise of the machines inside Godard's studio (like Hermann did with the bird squaks in THE BIRDS)!! But seriously, that film has an incredibly radical direct-sound texture because of who he is filming and where he's filming them. The sounds of the housing project...

ZC said...

I'll see the film soon and let you know, Andy, if you don't refresh your own memory first.

ZC said...

FYI: Leo Ferre's music appears 2-3 times in Numero deux--maybe once early on after Godard's 'introduction' (I can't tell if it's Ferre or not, but it's brief), once around the 60' mark, and again at roughly 80' (when Godard himself re-appears in the film).