Thursday, January 02, 2020

Body Electric

It's easy to wear things lightly, but we can be habituated to forms of completism and notions of integrity that inhibit thinking. It's not always about checking everything off the list.

*

In The Souvenir, the horrors of keeping things hidden and the wellspring of simple human emotions are almost too unbearable. I watched it on my laptop after losing (again) to sleep maintenance insomnia and I was wrecked. Devastated. Ugly cries can be cathartic but sometimes that's not really the right word; these reactions can draw things out or sometimes it feels like there's something there, new, more, right beside you. These emotions are prosthetic. It's about sketching out spaces to fill in gaps.

Joanna Hogg's mastery of narrative elision is gobsmacking.

*

I've never been a smoker but if I was born a generation or two earlier, certainly I would have been a chain smoker.

*

I understand these early notes are cryptic. I'm testing things out for myself. More content will come, here or elsewhere, and things will, I hope, be clearer.

No comments: