Sunday, July 17, 2005

NYPL

OK, so I've wanted to do this for a few years, ever since Jaime started seeing cool stuff there, but now I will take advantage of the New York Public Library, including the Donnell Media Library's videos. For free. Just today I picked up two VHS tapes of films I had yet to find anywhere else: Walerian Borowczyk's Story of Sin (1975) and F.J. Ossang's Doctor Chance (1997). I've been trying to find the latter (without buying it online) for something like six years. The former, which I watched just a while ago with Megan, was a slight disappointment given that my expectations were so high. It's not as good as La Marge or Blanche. The NYPL have got more impressive things, too--Makavejev, Ripstein, Yevgeny Bauer. For free. Given that my future job status (meaning: pay status) is still frustratingly uncertain, the fact that these slightly-worn treasures are free is no small detail.

No comments: